Sunday, August 29, 2010

Money, Money, Money




I am looking forward to my first paycheck. I start working in September, and I am already looking forward to being able to stop counting pennies. I am pretty sure that I will still count, but not needing to count is a totally different matter.


I have always tried to be independent with my finance. I don't go so far as to pay part of the rent while I live with my parents, but I basically handled my daily expenses while I was in university. The past 3 months without work has put me into an uncomfortable situation. However, as soon as I start my job, everything will be fine!

Today, my family somehow got into a discussion of finances over breakfast. My father was saying that I don't have to worry about him when he is retired as he will be able to take good care of himself, bu I should be ready to take care of my mother as she has been take care of throughout her life. I feel a bit of pressure from this as I haven't even started my job and I have been worried about myself; but I said nothing as I think it was just a reminder, not an immediate request.

After the breakfast, my father went to work and I walked home with my mother. On our way home, my mother started nagging me about how much I should spend every month, how much to save and how much I should give her as "family money". I don't mind contributing to the family, I know this is my responsibility, but I get annoyed by the fact that she tries to comment on my saving habits. Yes, it was a decision to not work for 3 months to see my boyfriend (BF), but I had saved up for it. Yes, I was sort of broke when I came back, but it's not like I have nothing in my bank account. Yes, I am going to handle way more income than I used to, but I am sure I won't get overwhelmed and just spend everything. I have been disciplined with money for so long that I believe I can be trusted.

I don't know whether I overracted, but I want to be trusted and left alone with my own financial matters.

"Money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man's world"

No comments:

Post a Comment